Saturday 23 January 2016

Rainbows and Elephants

Howdy, crafters! My card was inspired by two cards I saw online by Francine Vuilleme and Debra James. Now, I have tried to create water colored rainbow cards in the past and I failed miserably. I ended up with an unattractive mess of brown patches and a high frustration level. This time, I put my brain to use before I started and dragged up the old color theory I was taught in school. You know what the trick is? Follow the color wheel!


Even though I used two different types of watercolor markers, you can easily just use one type of watercolor medium. I am totally afraid of using wet or fluid colors (like picking up color with my brush from the Gansai Tambi color pans) so using markers is my preferred way of working with watercolor. You could also use your Distress Markers or your ZIG Clean Color Real Brush markers. As long as you follow the colors in the color wheel, you will achieve the same effect.


After I had mounted the elephant on my card base, I used a Mini Mister filled with water into which I had mixed Perfect Pearls to add a lot of sparkle and shine to the elephant. It really looks gorgeous in real life. Since you are using watercolor, be careful when you spray your colored image. The water in the mist will reactivate your watercolors and maybe make them run.


This sentiment is of course from the wonderful stamp set designed by Jennifer McGuire and is just perfect for the person that I'm sending it to.

I hope you got inspired and you will give the rainbow water coloring a try. It's definitely not an easy technique, but I think a little bit of practice will let you master it quickly and you will get breathtaking results.

If you want to actually watch me create this card, head on over to my blog (link in the sidebar to your right) and watch the video! Catch you again soon and have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - we hope the blog inspires your creativity.
The Seven Hills Crafts Design Team