Sunday 2 October 2016

Skating Santa

I've been having fun making my card this week - I do love to spend a little time deep in colouring-in heaven and Stamping Bella images are my favourite images to colour!


I used Santa's Special Delivery and coloured him with copics and pencils before cutting him out.  I used 300gsm card so he was nice and thick as I wanted him to move across the card.

For the base card I used Avery Elle's Falling Snow die on a piece of white card and inked it lightly after cutting using Sno Cone ink.  I used a glue runner on my base card and covered the area behind the die cut holes and then used my finger to rub some fine clear glitter into them for a gentle twinkling snow scene.

I used Lawn Fawn's Stitched Tree Border again from white card to create the foreground and just coloured the trees leaving them leafless for winter.   I die cut a slider channel from it so Santa could skate across it and used a slider under his boot to secure him through the channel. 


I marked where the hills would go and then used sentiments from Merriest curving them to match the hills and spacing them out across the card to add to the feeling of movement.

Now this is where I fess up a mess up!  I had intended on the tree layer and my idea to support Santa had always been to add some extra sliders behind his hat and body (just on top of the card not with extra channels) so that they would glide across the surface and keep him straight.  When we add a layer with sticky out bits this won't work as they get caught!   So now I have a slightly drunken Santa - particularly at the edge where the channel dips!


I doesn't bother me enough to remake the entire card - I think he still "works" but if I make it again I would either use a straight channel so he's more straight or make the tree layer flat and die cut the channel from both that and the snowfall layer together so I could support him more easily.   Hope it gives you some ideas for movement on cards and now I've made the mistakes so you don't have to!




NEWS FROM THE STORE

What's coming this week 
  • We have the new release from MFT in transit and customs willing it will be live on Wednesday morning (or a little later if it gets stuck again!)
  • We have the new release and special Jennifer McGuire kindness project release from SugarPea Designs awaiting shipment - hopefully we'll have it by the end of the week.
  • We have the new release from Altenew in transit too so hope to have that live this week.
  • Our order for the new release from Wplus9 is in - we are just waiting for that to ship too.
  • We have restocks of everything that was available with all the above brands coming with their new releases - if what you are waiting for doesn't come back this time, it was out of stock at their end and we will try again with our next order.
New Design Team Members

Thank you to everyone who threw their hat in the ring for the space on our design team following Keren's departure a few weeks ago.  We have over 50 applicants for the one spot so as you can imagine it was quite hard to narrow it down, so if you didn't make it, don't take the rejection to heart - it's just a matter of numbers!

I am thrilled to announce that Gemma from Mygirllollipop will be our new girl Tuesday!  Gemma has been a regular player of our challenges so I am sure you will recognise her fun style and we are sure she is going to bring your lots of wonderful inspiration over the coming months!  The decision was only made on Friday so she'll be bringing you her first post next week (you're stuck with me again on Tuesday - sorry!)

Also, as Kate is taking a break, I picked another person from the applicants to have a 6 month spot on the team to fill in for her.  So I am also thrilled to let you know that Esther from The Carnelian Wood will be bringing you her creativity every Wednesday for the next 6 months!   Esther is a challenge stall wart as a DT member over at Less is More and we're sure you'll love her varied style.  Again she'll be starting next week so we'll have a fill in this week.

Do welcome the new ladies to the team when they make their first posts as I'm sure they'll be full of nervous anticipation!

That's all for now folks - I'm heading out for the day on a mammoth house-viewing session so wish me luck that we find a nice new place with more space for more store stash!

Tara





4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card, Tara - I love the snowfall background in that cool blue, and the colouring on "drunken Santa" is fab! Congratulations to Gemma on the DT spot! Really looking forward to seeing more of her wonderful creations. I'm also excited about my 6 months with you and the team. Eeeek! Thank you :) Good luck with the house hunting today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done to both newbies! Looking forward to seeing what they create :) And a drunken Santa is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited to join the Seven Hills Design team and can't wait to start sharing cards with you all. Congratulations to Esther, so pleased you are joining us too :)
    Love the 'drunk Santa card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to both you and Esther on her selection to the DT, she will be such an asset and a great inspiration to all!
    Superb choice!
    Chrissie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - we hope the blog inspires your creativity.
The Seven Hills Crafts Design Team